The Daylight Solutions Core Technology
Daylight Solutions is the world leader in Quantum Cascade Laser (QCL) based molecular detection and imaging systems. The company pioneered the commercialization of QCLs by combining QC gain media with our patented External Cavity Quantum Cascade Laser (ECqcL™) technology. The result was a robust, broadly tunable or fixed wavelength mid-infrared (mid-IR) laser source.
Daylight Solutions is now the premiere manufacturer of components, subsystems, and systems for sensors and high power illuminators in the mid-IR spectrum. The company earned its leadership role by bringing together experts from related disciplines and integrating technologies through applied research and development while maintaining a focus on scalable manufacturability.
- QC gain media advanced through collaborative research efforts with our partners, and made commercially viable through patented die attach and packaging technology.
- Anti-Reflective (AR) coatings developed specifically for QC gain media and mid-IR fibers.
- Advanced, miniature aspheric lenses that enable micro-optic packaging and diffraction-limited performance in the mid-IR.
- Telecom-style packaging technology adapted to enable robust, miniaturized modules that function as flexible platforms for a variety of OEM applications.
- Broadly tunable mid-infrared laser sources based on our patented external cavity technology (ECqcL™). Our laser sources are tunable up to 25% of their center wavelengths, or 300cm-1 in pulsed or continuous wave (CW) mode. Sources are also available with up to 150cm-1 tunability in Mode-Hop Free (MHF) operation.
For a further description of Quantum Cascade history, performance, use external cavity design and applications, please visit our QCL technology page.
Daylight Solutions leverages its core technologies to deliver commercial- and military-grade system-level solutions for markets that include Scientific Research, Medical Diagnostics, Environmental and Industrial Monitoring, and Defense. The company’s patented designs, coupled with its advanced manufacturing processes, ensure robustness and reliability with 1,000 to 10,000 hours of real-time operation.
January 31, 2011
Quantum cascade laser based replacement for FTIR microscopy
The development of broadly tunable, external cavity quantum cascade lasers (ECqcL™) has created an ideal light source for IR microscopy. Spectrally brilliant probe beams that are diffraction limited, with intensities many orders of magnitude higher than incandescent sources, can be generated from compact, room temperature ECqcL™ devices.
February 6, 2009
Daylight Solutions Wins National Award for Innovation
POWAY, Calif., Feb 06, 2009 (BUSINESS WIRE) - Daylight Solutions is pleased to announce that on Wednesday, January 28, 2009, the company was presented with a 2008 Prism Award. The Prism Awards recognize the best in innovative technology within the multi-billion dollar photonics industry. Daylight Solutions received a Prism Award in the Laser category for its broadly tunable, CW Mode-hop-free laser system.
May 8, 2013
Breath analysis research approaches clinical practicality
Clinicians anticipate practical, compact photonic test instrumentation to easily identify the several hundred different molecular species in exhaled breath that can indicate disease...
January 31, 2013
Northrop Grumman Delivers CIRCM System to U.S. Army Ahead of Schedule
Northrop Grumman has delivered the first of eight Common Infrared Countermeasures (CIRCM) missile defense systems to the U.S. Army two months ahead of schedule. CIRCM is a lightweight, low-cost, highly reliable, laser-based countermeasure system designed to work with missile warning systems for rotary wing, tilt-rotor and small fixed-wing aircraft across the military services. Northrop Grumman is developing its solution with its partners SELEX Galileo and Daylight Solutions.